Your assignment is to synthesize three sources of information related to the forced sterilization of Native American Women that occurred in the U.S. as recently as the 1970s.
Your assignment is to synthesize three sources of information related to the forced sterilization of Native American Women that occurred in the U.S. as recently as the 1970s. The first is a video included in the Module Two lecture related to Native American Indian boarding schools( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9FydzIzkndA&feature=youtu.be ), the second a video: Forced Sterilization: Eugenics in America( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9R6RdHENcFU&feature=youtu.be ) and the third an article: Native American Women and Coerced Sterilization: On the Trail of Tears in the 1970s by Sally Torphy.( https://www.law.berkeley.edu/php-programs/centers/crrj/zotero/loadfile.php?entity_key=QFDB5MW3 )
- View the videos
- Read the article
- After you read the article, work with your partner or group to answer the following questions:
- During the 1970s, a great deal of American protest efforts focused on: ____________________________________________________________________.
- Briefly describe the Wounded Knee Operation conducted in 1973:
- Why were Native American Women uniquely vulnerable to sterilization?
- This article describes two doctrines that reflect the increasing debate over who controls reproductive rights. Discuss with your group members this question: Are reproductive rights a personal human right or an issue that demands government intervention? Record your consensus below. If you do not come to consensus, briefly describe the differing opinions below.
- Define “eugenics” and describe how this idea is incorporated into the concept of “population control”
- Describe the 1927 ruling of Buck v. Bell:
- What action led to led to the formation of several anti-sterilization organizations such as the Committee to End Sterilization Abuse, and the Committee for Abortion Rights and Against Sterilization Abuse?
- What were the results of the 1975 GAO study? What is a GAO study?
- By 1971, how many Native American children were living in federal boarding schools?