dentify a leader in a healthcare setting who is responsible for fiscal planning and financial management. This person can be solely responsible for financial management, or have multiple duties and responsibilities that include fiscal planning and financial management. Request an interview with that individual. You may conduct your interview in person, via teleconference, or via video conference. Use the Interview Guide you created for last week’s assignment. Also, use Nexis Uni to locate publicly available financial information from this organization. Use it as context for your interview.
The Interview Guide you created in Week 2 should include 10 questions. Seven questions are provided for you. You should develop 3 additional questions. You should ask the following 7 questions (in addition to the three questions that you develop):
- Can you tell me about your role within your organization? What are your duties and responsibilities? How long have you been in this role?
- Can you share with me all of your duties and responsibilities that involve fiscal planning and financial management?
- How does your organization approach strategic planning?
- How do you approach operational budgeting? How does your organization approach capital budgeting?
- What is the most expensive aspect of healthcare delivery?
- How is healthcare finance related to the cost of care, quality, value, waste, performance improvement, regulatory compliance, provider relationships, and insurance reimbursement/payors?
- What measures has the organization used to contain costs?
Write a 3-page paper in which you report your findings from your interview and research:
- Indicate the name and title of the person you interviewed, share some background about the organization that he/she works for. List the duties/responsibilities/scope of his/her role, and share how long he/she has been in the role.
- Share the mission, vision, and strategic priorities of the organization.
- Provide some background context on the organization (location, size, focus, services provided, demographics of patients served, for/non-profit status, et cetera).
- Explain all of the financial-related tasks and responsibilities that your interviewee engages in.
- From your interviewee’s perspective, explain how healthcare finance is related to the cost of care, quality, value, waste, performance improvement, regulatory compliance, provider relationships, and insurance reimbursement/payors.
- Comment on the organization’s strategic planning process and its relationship to financial management. Is there appropriate alignment? Support your perspective.
- In a final paragraph, explain what you see as the most important aspect of financial management for healthcare administrators.