Assignment 1: Difficulties of Defining Terrorism
Due Week 2 and worth 100 points
There is no universal agreed upon definition of terrorism. Terrorism means different things to different people, governments, and organizations based upon context.
Write a three to five (3-5) page paper in which you:
Summarize, with citations, at least four (4) different definitions of terrorism. Note: The definitions must come from sources such as U.S. government agencies (e.g., FBI, DOJ, CIA, DOD, DHS, DOS, DIA, NSA, etc.), international agencies and / or foreign governments (e.g. United Nations, England, Israel, etc.), or terrorism experts (e.g. Bruce Hoffman, Walter Laqueur, Brian Jenkins, Paul Pillar, etc.).
- Compare and contrast two (2) of the four (4) definitions summarized in Question 1. Provide a rationale for the differences between the two (2) definitions based upon the context of the people, governments, and / or organizations that developed the definition.
- Select one (1) of the four (4) chosen definitions of terrorism that you believe most accurately defines terrorism. Recommend at least one (1) change or enhancement that you would make to the definition. Provide a rationale for your response.
- Create your own personal comprehensive definition of terrorism. Identify the key criteria inherent in your personal definition, and explain their importance.
- Use at least three (3) quality resources in this assignment. Note: Wikipedia and similar Websites do not qualify as quality resources.
- Your assignment must follow these formatting requirements:
- Be typed, double spaced, using Times New Roman font (size 12), with one-inch margins on all sides; citations and references must follow APA or school-specific format. Check with your professor for any additional instructions.
- Include a cover page containing the title of the assignment, the student’s name, the professor’s name, the course title, and the date. The cover page and the reference page are not included in the required assignment page length.