During an interview, the case manager demonstrates attitudes about self and others. One way to learn about these attitudes and characteristics is to watch others conduct interviews. A good practice is to watch interviewers on television. The following programs will work for this assignment:
- Meet the Press
- Dr. Phil
- Good Morning America
- Today Show
- Larry King
While you are watching the interviews, make notes on the attitudes and characteristics that are important for good interviewing.
- Describe how the interviewer presents him- or herself.
- What are your initial impressions of the interviewer?
- What happens in the interview to cause these initial impressions?
- Describe how the interviewer greets the interviewee. What type of climate does the greeting establish?
- Does the interviewer control the interview?
Focus on the Interviewee
- What is the interviewer’s attitude toward the interviewee? How does the interviewer convey this attitude?
- Does the interviewer demonstrate respect for the interviewee? How is respect or lack of it conveyed during the interview?
- How does the interviewer convey empathy?
- Does the interviewer convey cultural sensitivity or the lack of it? How?