In the late 19th century, some artists wanted to reveal feelings rather than objectively-viewed reality, recognizing that a viewer’s reaction to the world influences what he or she sees. Expressionists, which as a movement began proper in early 20th century France and Germany, transformed color and manipulated form to reveal a subjective interior reality.
Surrealism developed from the growing popularity of Freud’s works in the 20th century, which led some artists to try to use the visual arts to explore the subconscious. Surrealist artists attempted to portray dream worlds and, in general, to free artists from rational thought and allow them to reach what they believed was a deeper reality.
Respond in writing to the following question after reading Chapter 14, and watching the video above, and viewing the Web Assignments and the links above.
- How did new psychology influence the birth of key movements in the arts such as expressionism and surrealism?
- Provide specific details from three artworks from above or from your text.
Make sure to:
· Write a short essay or paragraph of at least 100 words. Do not go over 250 words.
· Use concrete examples/details and avoid generalities.
· Address all questions.
· Use proper grammar and punctuation.
· If you researched your topic and are using information from what you learned, remember to cite your sources.
· Do not plagiarize. Your work will be checked by turnitin.com.