Ashford 2: – Week 1 – Discussion 2
Your initial discussion thread is due on Day 3 (Thursday) and you have until Day 7 (Monday) to respond to your classmates. Your grade will reflect both the quality of your initial post and the depth of your responses. Reference the Discussion Forum Grading Rubric for guidance on how your discussion will be evaluated.
The “Self” and Communication
In Chapter 2 of your text, Bevan & Sole (2014) lay out many psychological concepts concerning the “self.” These key elements of human psychology are central to how we communicate with ourselves (intrapersonal communication) and others (interpersonal communication).
Prepare: As you prepare to write your discussion for this topic, take a few moments to do the following:
- Read the writing prompt below in its entirety. Note that there are four tasks to complete.
- Define self-concept.
- Define self-image.
- Define self-esteem.
- Reflect on how one of these has impacted your interpersonal communication.
- Review Chapter 2 in your text.
- Focus on the segments of the book on self-concept, self-image, and self-esteem.
- Review the grading rubric and note that 25% of your grade is based on your application of course material (Content/Subject Knowledge) and 25% is based on your ability to demonstrate you are thinking critically and presenting original ideas.
Reflect: Take time to reflect on how your self-concept, self-image, or self-esteem have affected the way you communicate with others and, perhaps, how you believe others respond to you.
Write: Based on the information in Chapter 2:
- Define self-concept, self-image, and self-esteem. Write at least two sentences on each term.
- Provide an example of how your “self-concept,” “self-image,” or “self-esteem” has affected your interpersonal communication.
- Use specific examples to illustrate your point.
- Use the text to support your points about the relationship between psychology and communication and for your definitions of the three key terms.
Thoroughly address all four elements of this prompt. Consider copying and pasting these tasks into a word file and addressing each of them separately.
Your initial response should be 200-300 words in length and is due by Thursday, Day 3.
Respond to Peers: Review your classmates’ posts and try to find some common ground or to expand on the students’ ideas. Use the text to extend your classmates’ points about psychology and communication. Ask questions that will deepen everyone’s understanding of the key concepts. Respond to at least two of your classmates’ posts by Monday, Day 7. Response posts must be 125 to 200 words in length. If you have questions about how to participate in discussions, consult “About Discussions” under the Course Home menu.