Week 4 – Assignment
Principles of Effective Intervention
There are four general principles of effective intervention that have become organizing concepts of community corrections. They have stimulated what has become known as the “what works” movement. Write a paper outlining the four general principles of the “what works” movement.
Thesis: Your thesis (which is part of your first paragraph) should list the four principles of the effective intervention.
Body: The body of your paper (your entire paper excluding the thesis and conclusion) should give a thoughtful analysis of the four general principles of effective intervention in a sequential order. Explain what the principles mean. Look for examples. Determine if the principles are effective. Explain why the principles either are, or are not, effective.
Conclusion: The conclusion (which is part of the last paragraph) should, at the very least, restate the thesis.
· Must be 4 double-spaced pages in length (not including title and references pages) and formatted according to APA style, as outlined in the Ashford Writing Center’s APA Style (Links to an external site.) resource.
· Must include a separate title page with the following:
o Title of paper
o Student’s name
o Course name and number
o Instructor’s name
o Date submitted
· Must include an introduction and conclusion paragraph. Your introduction paragraph needs to end with a clear thesis statement that indicates the purpose of your paper. For assistance on writing Introductions & Conclusions as well as Writing a Thesis Statement, refer to the Ashford Writing Center sources.
· Must use at least 3 credible sources from the Ashford Library in addition to the course text. The Scholarly, Peer Reviewed, and Other Credible Sources (Links to an external site.) table offers additional guidance on appropriate source types. If you have questions about whether a specific source is appropriate for this assignment, contact your instructor. Your instructor has the final say about the appropriateness of a specific source for an assignment. The Integrating Research (Links to an external site.) tutorial will offer further assistance with including supporting information and reasoning.
· Must document in APA style any and all personal communications referred to in the paper, as outlined in the Ashford Writing Center’s In-Text Citation Guide (Links to an external site.).
· Must include a separate references page that is formatted according to APA style. See the Formatting Your Reference List (Links to an external site.) resource in the Ashford Writing Center for specifications.
Carefully review the Grading Rubric (Links to an external site.) for the criteria that will be used to evaluate your assignment.