Week 4 – Discussion
Your initial discussion thread is due on Day 3 (Thursday) and you have until Day 7 (Monday) to respond to your classmates. Your grade will reflect both the quality of your initial post and the depth of your responses. Refer to the Discussion Forum Grading Rubric under the Settings icon above for guidance on how your discussion will be evaluated.
Crime Prediction Strategies for the Future
Select one of the following goals from Chapter 12, Table 12.1 on of The Prevention of Crime for your initial post.
Table: Recommendations for increasing the use and rigor of evaluation methods in crime prevention.
Reducing differences in lists of “What works”
- Use systematic review processes
- Require rigorous evaluation standards
- Require consensus on evaluation standards by multiple experts
- Regularly update lists and evaluation standards
Increasing the number of effective interventions
- Employ rigorous, quasi‐experimental designs when randomized control trials are not feasible
- Use “adaptive” research designs to evaluate multi‐component interventions and policies
- Use emerging methods such as Social Network Analysis to evaluate social context interventions
Examine the future of crime prediction using the recommendations listed beside your chosen goal and incorporate the following:
- Based on your earlier research and readings, evaluate current prevention programs and how they might be changed in the future based on these goals.
- Analyze the impact of diversity in future crime prediction strategies, especially within law enforcement agencies that have little credibility with their communities today.
- Assess whether your chosen goal positively or negatively impacts social justice for all groups or just targeted segments of society.
Your initial post must be a minimum of 300 words. Support your post with examples from your required reading material and/or other credible and scholarly sources, using the Scholarly, Peer Reviewed, and Other Credible Sources (Links to an external site.)Links to an external site. document for guidance. Provide in-text citations in APA style (Links to an external site.)Links to an external site., as outlined in the Ashford Writing Center (Links to an external site.)Links to an external site..
Guided Response: Review several of your peer’s posts, responding to at least two of your classmates’ posts by Day 7. For these responses, select at least one classmate who chose to address a goal different from your own. In your responses to their posts, address the following:
- Formulate additional suggestions for addressing diversity and improving community relationships between law enforcement and the communities they serve in the future.
Address ethical dilemmas that could impact communities and discuss how to overcome obstacles. Be sure to support your assertions with scholarly, credible sources, using the Scholarly, Peer Reviewed, and Other Credible Sources (Links to an external site.)Links to an external site. document for guidance. Respond to at least two of your fellow students’ posts in a substantive manner and provide recommendations to extend their thinking. You are encouraged to post your required replies earlier in the week to promote more meaningful and interactive discourse in this discussion forum. Continue to monitor the discussion forum until 5:00 p.m. (Mountain Time) on Day 7, and respond with robust dialogue to anyone who replies to your initial post.