Your Final Project for this course consists of an Immersion Project. The goal of this project is to allow you to develop your knowledge of a particular population that is of interest to you. Because expansion of your profession knowledge is a goal of the project, this population should not be a population to which you belong.
As you begin to think about your project, consider the NOHS Ethical Standards for Human Service Professionals that apply to ethnicity, race, culture, religion, sexual orientation, nationality, and other categories. Conceptualize how you might use knowledge gained through the immersion experience to help you meet these standards with your selected population.
This week, you should begin working on Parts I and II of your Immersion Project. Adhering to the pacing guidelines provided will allow you time to complete your Final Project successfully.
- Identify the population you wish to study. Consider how this population is different from you and what your perceptions of this group are at this point in your life. Differences should include both the obvious (visible differences, etc.) and the not so obvious (religious beliefs, sexual orientation, etc.). Your perceptions should include what you were told about this group as you were growing up (if anything), what your sources of information about this group have been in the past, and why you have an interest in this group.
- Observe an activity of the group you have chosen to study (e.g., attend a religious service; take a tour of the group’s community; or attend a gathering, festival, culture-themed play, tour, or exhibit).
1. How do you plan on conducting the dialogue, over multiple sessions or in a one-time sitting?
2. When do you expect to complete the dialogue?
3. How does the person you intend to have the dialogue with fit the characteristics of the population you are studying?
My final project for this class I’m going to learn more about those who are HIV/AIDS positive and seeing which cultures are mostly affected. The HIV/AIDS community increases daily and so many are affected by the lack of knowledge. So many communities need help but trying to see which is needed the most and why that culture percentage is so high.
For this dialogue I am planning to meet with individuals from various cultures who have been affected. During this time, I will speak with them about how they became infected and see how much they new about this virus before contracting. Completion time for this dialogue should be completed in a month to two months. I am setting that time span because I want to ensure that any valuable information that is provided can assist me in the future with other clients.