Using the readings from Modules 2 and 3:
- Discuss three to five historical events that have shaped the formation of race in our society as we know it today.
- Examine how Columbus’s treatment of the Indians set the stage for using physical differences as a means of classifying human beings and justifying their oppression and how this oppression has continued in the life of 20th and 21st century Native Americans.
- Drawing on three examples from Lakota Woman,examine how particular historical events have shaped the race relations in the U.S.
Reflecting on the readings from Modules 2 and 3 and your own experience:
- share your understanding of white privilege.
- How have your experiences vis-à-vis white privilege shaped your perception of yourself and of those who are racially/ethnically different from you?