Draft a response to each of the bulleted questions below. Each question must have its own response and have a minimum of 75 words.
1. How would you define corrections programs?
2. How do community-based corrections programs affect prisoners? What would happen if corrections programs were not community-based? Explain.
3. Probation has become a common occurrence, should there be some crimes that would be ineligible to receive this sentence? If so what types of crimes should not be eligible for probation? Thoughts?
4. In most community based programs the goal of the sentence is the rehabilitation of the criminal. Should the victim have any input as to the sanction that is given to the defendant? What impact should this have on sentencing options?
5. How does each type of prison play a role in the criminal justice system? How do the criteria of each type of prison affect sentencing?
6. Privatization of prisons is something that is discussed given the cost of the state to run these types of facilities. Given the budget concerns of today’s local and state governments and the pension fund shortfalls, should this be an option to reduce costs? How is it that a private company can complete the same task less expensively than a local or state agency?
7. Describe the nature of security threat groups and summarize the causes and stages of prison riots.
8. Discuss the legal aspects of prisoners’ rights, including the consequences of related precedent-setting U.S. Supreme Court cases.