Ashford 5: – Week 4 – Discussion 1
Your initial discussion thread is due on Day 3 (Thursday) and you have until Day 7 (Monday) to respond to your classmates. Your grade will reflect both the quality of your initial post and the depth of your responses. Reference the Discussion Forum Grading Rubric for guidance on how your discussion will be evaluated.
Week Four Case Study Analysis
In the Week 4 Case Study: Assessment/Resources, Mrs. Ashland was asked to be part of a shared decision of assessment selection.
Mrs. Ford, the Director of the center, asks her to use her knowledge of developmentally appropriate teaching approaches to evaluate specific assessment tools and practices that may be used center-wide. Mrs. Ford identifies the following tools for Mrs. Ashland to research and use in her classroom to help inform her decision:
- Anecdotal Records
- Rating scales
- Running Records
The textbook explores these assessments further and provides specific examples to use for administration. Using the information gained in the case study, as well as the information and examples presented in the chapter, administer two of assessments of your choice. You may choose to administer to a child that you know and have permission to conduct an example assessment with, or you may use a child from one of the case studies in your text.
For this discussion, you will submit your reflections of the administration, addressing the following:
- What do you think the strengths of using this assessment are?
- What did you find challenging when administering this assessment? What is your action plan to improve this?
- After reviewing your findings, what did your results conclude?
- Based on your analysis of your assessment data, what are three recommendations that you have for the curriculum for the learner going forward? How will you use the assessment data to make instructional decisions?
Guided Response: Review your classmate’s posts. Reply to one of your classmates that choose an alternative assessment that you think is the least effective based on your teaching philosophy and information gained from the textbook. Conduct a 10 minute observation using this tool. Provide a response to your peer including completion of the following prompts:
- In administering this assessment, I liked…
- In thinking about how I will use this in my career, I plan to…
- I wonder if this tool could be improved with/by…