Week 2 Assignment: Annotated Bibliography
For this assignment, you will write an annotated bibliography on three sources. For detailed information on how to create your Annotated Bibliography, please see the sample created by the developer in the assignment prompt below.
In your Annotated Bibliography, you will
- Identify your primary source(s) and two secondary, academic sources. If you chose to discuss two poems in your Week One assignment, each must have its own entry in the Annotated Bibliography.
- Summarize each source and explain how the source supports your working thesis. These summaries should be 100 to 150 words for each entry.
For the Annotated Bibliography assignment, you will write annotations for three sources. One source should be a primary source. Next, you will choose two secondary sources that are additional to the text.
The two sources you locate must be academic sources and come from peer-reviewed journals or other scholarly publications. For information on finding sources within the Ashford Library, please view the ENG125 – Literature Research tutorial.
The Annotated Bibliography includes a citation of the source in APA format. It also includes a brief summary of the source.
Click each example below to expand and click twice to collapse. Alternatively, you may click here to view the following examples in PDF.
In your Annotated Bibliography you will find two sources that will help you explore and discuss your primary text.
The Annotated Bibliography
- Must be 100 to 150 words for each entry and formatted according to APA style as outlined in the Ashford Writing Center.
- Must include a separate title page with the following:
- Title of paper
- Student’s name
- Course name and number
- Instructor’s name
- Date submitted
- Must use at least one literary text and two scholarly sources in addition to the course text.
- The Scholarly, Peer Reviewed, and Other Credible Sources table offers additional guidance on appropriate source types. If you have questions about whether a specific source is appropriate for this assignment, please contact your instructor. Your instructor has the final say about the appropriateness of a specific source for a particular assignment.
- Must document all sources in APA style as outlined in the Ashford Writing Center.
List of Required Sources
The term primary source refers to:
· Original documents: Diaries, speeches, manuscripts, letters, interviews, news film footage, autobiographies, official records, etc.
· Creative works: Poetry, drama, novels, music, art, etc.
The primary source is the story, poem or play you choose to write about. Please see the List of Literary Works to choose a primary source. The source must come from this list.
Examples of primary sources:
· The United States Constitution.
· Letters written by President Harry Truman when he was in office.
· The Diary of Anne Frank, experiences of a Jewish family during World War II.
· The Metamorphosis, a short story by Franz Kafka.
Secondary sources are publications like textbooks, magazine articles, histories, criticisms, commentaries, encyclopedias, etc.
Examples of secondary sources include:
· A journal/magazine article that interprets and offers analysis of a literary work.
· The biography of an author that includes references.
· A historical account of the author’s time period and era that includes references.