Mens rea, is the mental element to a crime. It is fair and just to punish only people we can blame. We call this culpability or blameworthiness.
Compare and contrast the four different culpable mental states of: purposely, knowingly, recklessly, and negligently. Provide criminal law examples where each culpable mental state is proscribed. Detail how and why the mental culpable state impacts the criminal penalty for the crime.
As a pragmatic matter, you will have to go to your state criminal law website to identify crimes meeting the criteria above. It will be important to include all elements of the criminal offense.
Writing Requirements (APA format)
- 3-4 full pages (approx. 300 words per page), not including title page or references page
- 1-inch margins
- Double spaced
- 12-point Times New Roman font
- Title page with topic and name of student
- References page (minimum of 2 in-text citations from textbook/other academic sources)
- Minimum of 2 academic or government resources with corresponding in-text citations (Dictionaries, Wikipedia, non-academic websites can be used but do not count towards the minimum required resources.)