Select two of the scenarios below and explain the best solution. Include comments related to any ethical issues that arise. You should try to locate at least one scholarly source or one case that has been decided or is currently pending to support your answer.
Recycling Genie is a new company that contracts with Best Buy and other electronics retailers for the collection of old computers, monitors, televisions, and cell phones dropped off at their facilities. The electronics contain lead, mercury, and polyvinyl chlorides that are known to have toxicological effects such as cancer, kidney disease, and brain damage. Recycling Genie has been in negotiations to ship the e-waste to companies in China, Vietnam, and Mongolia.
- What are the legal and ethical concerns with shipping e-waste to these countries?
Ginger and Allen lived together in New Mexico since 2011, but they were not married until July 2013. Allen purchased the home in 2008, prior to meeting Ginger. He did not add Ginger to the title after they were married; however, she contributed to the mortgage payments from 2011 until she started her business in 2013. In September 2013, Ginger inherited $55,000 from her father that she used to start a corporation, Fantastic Faces, a beauty consulting business.
Ginger worked full time for Fantastic Faces, while Allen continued with his job teaching at the university. Allen made no contributions to Fantastic Faces. Due to limited financial resources, Ginger did not earn any salary until 2015.
In May 2013, Allen inherited 20 acres of farmland in Alabama from his grandfather. The land was leased to a local farmer. Allen visited the farm after the funeral in 2013 but did not return to Alabama. The rental income of $5,000 per year was deposited into the couple’s joint account. Allen filed for divorce from Ginger on November 10, 2015.
- Explain how the court will determine the ownership of the house, farmland, and business based on New Mexico law.
- Determine how the court would decide if the couple resided in your state instead of New Mexico.
Scenario III—International Trade
The purchasing manager of a fast-growing food distribution company wants to import chocolate milk from Switzerland; however, he is not sure what the best option is. The manager comes to you and asks your opinion. You know that Switzerland, Canada, and Korea are the best sources for obtaining this product. While your research shows chocolate milk from Switzerland is of the highest quality, the United States imposes a tariff of 17%, which makes this option noncompetitive.
- Which US trade laws should you consider when selecting a country?
- Is there any way by which you can seek a reduction on the tariff? If so, how? If not, why?
- Select an alternative country (Canada or Korea) for purchasing the chocolate milk and explain your reasons for selecting the country.
CITE ALL SOURCES USUING APA FORMAT