Review the Sleep Tight Inn scenario.
- Fully answer each question
- Include bullet point recommendations
- Provide at least a one page long document for each question
- Include at least one outside source
7. Mr. Jones would like to overhaul the selection system. He would like you to discuss the requirements under the law, advantages, and disadvantages of implementing a drug test at the Inn. Then, either make, or do not make, a recommendation for the Sleep Tight Inn to implement a drug test based on your research.
Sleep Tight Inn scenario:
The Sleep Tight! Resort and Conference Center of Albuquerque, N.M. has a staff of over 300 full time employees and 100 seasonal employees in 10 different job categories. For the past twenty-five years the resort has been run by the Clause family. The Clause family has had experience in running several small motels and were very knowledgeable of the industry. However, while they tried to treat the employees fairly, Mimi Clause, the Manager, knew nothing of proper HR practices and tended to make arbitrary decisions. She left many of the HR decisions to the employment department which consisted of a secretary and an employment supervisor who had been a secretary for Mimi’s mother. Eighteen months ago, the family decided to hire Frank Jones as the new Manager of the resort.
After evaluating the current operations, Frank Jones, decided that the Resort was in fairly good shape except for the lack of standardized Human Resource practices. Very little information existed to support any of the past employment decisions, especially in the area of selection. Although Jones does not have any direct experience in HR, he had taken several courses in HRM while in college.
In the last eighteen months, Jones has encountered several problems. He would like you to:
- Evaluate the situation and identify the problem
- Include short bullet point recommendations for each weekly assignment.