EVID BP DISC 1
Read and watch the lecture resources & materials below early in the week to help you respond to the discussion questions and to complete your assignment(s).
(Note: The citations below are provided for your research convenience. You should always cross reference the current APA guide for correct styling of citations and references in your academic work.)
- LoBiondo-Wood, G. & Haber, J. (2014). Nursing research: Methods and critical appraisal for evidence-based practice (8th ed.). Mosby, an imprint of Elsevier, Inc.
- Chapters 1, 2, & 20
- Use Chapter 1 Box 1-1 Highlighting Critical Reading Strategies (p. 11) as you read research/inquiry articles throughout this course.
- American Psychological Association. (2020). Publication manual of the American Psychological Association (7th ed.).
- Use as a guide for writing in current APA format.
- As part of your readings in this Module, please also review the following:
Online Materials & Resources
- Visit the CINAHL Complete under the A-to-Z Databases on the University Library’s website and locate the articles below:
- Echevarria, I. M. & Walker, S. (2014). To make your case, start with a PICOT question. Nursing 2014, 44(2), 18-19.
- Explore/View the website(s) below:
- Stevens, K., (May 31, 2013). The impact of evidence-based practice in nursing and the next big ideas. OJIN: The Online Journal of Issues in Nursing, 18(2), Manuscript 4 at http://nursingworld.org/MainMenuCategories/ANAMarketplace/ANAPeriodicals/OJIN/TableofContents/Vol-18-2013/No2-May-2013/Impact-of-Evidence-Based-Practice.html (Links to an external site.)
- Malik, A. (2012, March 13). Innovation [Video file]. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Uh1KxcpWz0Innovation (Links to an external site.)
- Ohio State Wexner Medical Center. (2014, May 8). Innovations in nursing at Ohio State — Introduction [Video file]. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sqBQPEG_g5E Innovations in Nursing at Ohio State — Introduction (Links to an external site.)
- Show Me The Evidence. (2015, August 19). How to use the PICO method to form a clinical question [Video file]. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D3IS1cV-tLQHow to Use the PICO Method to Form a Clinical Question (Links to an external site.)
- Referring to Chapter 2 Table 2-2 Research Question Format, create 4 research questions (one of each type) related to your nursing clinical practice area and/or role.
- Choose 1 of the research questions and, referring to Chapter 2 Table 2-3 Components of Research Questions and Related Criteria, map out the independent and dependent variables, the population, and the testability.
- Why is this research question of most interest to you?
- Your initial post should be at least 500 words, formatted and cited in current APA style with support from at least 2 academic sources.