*********** JUST 150-200 WORDS********
IN THE BOOK OF History of Modern Art.
In Chapter 18 of your text, you met Armand (Arman) Fernández (1928-2005), a performance artist of the Nouveau Réalisme (New Realism) movement. To prepare for this discussion:
- Read “Arman,” pages 448-449.
- View Long-Term Parking, 1982 pictured upper left and in Figure 18.10 on page 449.
Please respond to the following in a post of 150 to 200 words:
Compare/contrast Arman’s Long-Term Parking, 1982 with the image of cars in an elevated parking ramp (circa 2020) pictured upper right in light of Arman’s comments on the waste inherent in contemporary consumerism.
In your response, consider these questions:
- What thoughts come to your mind concerning our role as consumers in a consumer world?
- What message do you think Arman hoped to convey in Long-Term Parking, 1982?
- In your opinion, how does the idea of consumers parking their cars in an elevated parking ramp capture Oscar Wilde’s famous quote: “Life imitates art?”