- Leadership Theories, Leadership Central Leadership-Central.com, 2018.
- The Authoritarian Leadership Style & Others You Should Know VeryWellMind.com, Kendra Cherry, September 20, 2018
- 6 Polarizing Differences Between Managers and Leaders Inc.com, Bubba Page, July 28, 2015.
- 15 Leadership Strategies From Ancient Chinese Wisdom-Sun Tzu’s Art Of War Katherine Eion, 2018
- 5 things you probably don’t know about Mary BarraCaroline Fairchild and Geoff Colvin, September 19, 2014.
- G.M. Chief Mary Barra Is Named Chairwoman, Affirming Her Leadership New York Times, Bill Vlasic, January 4, 2016.
- Steve Jobs talks about Core Values at D8 2010 (2:28) SteveNote, January 5, 2012.
- What Are Your Values? Learn how to Identify Values and Beliefs (2:14) Mind Tools Videos, March 5, 2014.
What Are Your Values?1.5 Leadership Skills: Project
Leadership plays an important role in our professional and personal lives, both as leaders and as team members in groups and organizations. In this project you will analyze the traits of effective leaders and assess your own leadership skill to help you apply the concepts that we have studied this week.
What You’ll Need
- Computer and internet access
- MS Word or Apple Keynote software
- Adobe Acrobat or Quicktime software
Review this week’s Read and View information on the leadership ideas of General Colin Powell, tech leader Steve Jobs, corporate CEO Mary Barra and legendary strategist Sun Tzu.
Select one of the real world leaders noted above and create either a written MS Word document, or a Keynote presentation with audio narration. Include the following in your project:
- Identify the leader you have selected
- Describe what you see as their positive and negative leadership traits and skills, and explain your thoughts on both. Cite examples to explain your thoughts.
- Explain how you think their core values influence their leadership.
- Explain an example of their use of emotional intelligence in adapting their leadership behavior.
- Do you think this person is an effective leader overall? Explain why or why not using terms and concepts from this week’s reading and viewing assignment.
Complete the “How Good Are Your Leadership Skills” free, online assessment which rates you on skills such as Self-confidence, Attitude, Emotional Intelligence and Motivating People.
- Share your final score. What are the areas of strengths identified by the test? What are the opportunities for improvement that are suggested?
- Do you believe the test results are an accurate reflection of your current leadership skills? Explain why or why not.
- How do you think your own core values influence your leadership skills?
- Based on your test results, how do you compare your leadership skills with those of the real-world leader that you analyzed in Part 1 of this project?
- Are you currently or have you ever been in a leadership role in any way? For example, at work, on sports teams, in clubs or other organizations. If so, describe your leadership situation. If not, do you aspire to hold a leadership position? Explain why, or why not.
- Save and name your file “First name_Last name_Leadership_P1”
- If you have chosen to create a written MS Word document, export it as a PDF.
If you have chosen to create a Keynote presentation with audio narration, export it as a QuickTime file.
3. Upload your file to LAO and submit.