Week 1 Tasks
Attorneys and paralegals must communicate with clients, and they often do so through letters. This assignment will require you to use your writing skills to draft a letter to a client—to be reviewed and signed by your supervising attorney (instructor)—to explain your assessment of the strengths and weaknesses of the case to your client, who is a nonlegal audience. The client letter will be based on your initial analysis of the text materials regarding the elements of libel and the organization of the court system.
In your letter, you will:
- Provide an assessment of the strengths and weaknesses of the client’s case.
- Describe the process of litigation particular to the hypothetical case.
- Outline the parameters, rights and responsibilities, and ethical obligations of the attorney-client relationship.
Make sure your assessment includes:
- The proper cause of action and court jurisdiction
- Elements of the tort (defamation in this case)
- A description of the attorney-client relationship addressing confidentiality and privilege
Include a statement regarding the paralegal’s role in the litigation process. Attachments to the letter shall include agreement for services (retainer agreement) and a billing schedule statement.
Compile your letter in a Microsoft Word document.
On a separate page, cite all sources using the Bluebook format.