- Minimum of 2 academic or government resources with corresponding in-text citations (Dictionaries, Wikipedia, non-academic websites can be used but do not count towards the two in-text citations.)
In order for the insanity defense to apply the mental disease must affect a person’s reason and/or will. Insanity is an excuse for criminal liability only when it seriously damages the person’s capacity to act and/or reason and to understand.
For this assignment, you will right an op-ed article for a newspaper in your state. Defend why the criminal defense of insanity should or should not be allowed as a criminal defense! Propose your recommendation of an insanity defense standard. Is the defendant blameworthy?
In addition, explain if you are a proponent of civil commitments for the insane who commit crimes. Defend why or why not. Also, detail if a civil commitment is worse than incarceration. Why or why not? Should there a limit to the amount of time a person can be civilly committed? Why or why not? If so, recommend a limit and defend that limit.
Although your writing style will be a little different in an op-ed article than in a traditional research paper, you should still follow APA format with regard to integrating and citing sources.
The required length is shorter for this activity than for the essays in other weeks, so make sure to be succinct with your language.
The How to Write an Op-Ed Article resource provides some tips on how to approach this writing assignment. Although it recommends writing short articles, please make sure to meet the minimum noted in this activity.
- 2 full pages (approx. 300 words per page), not including title page or references page
- 1-inch margins
- Double spaced
- 12-point Times New Roman font
- Title page with topic and name of student
- References page (minimum of 2 in-text citations from textbook/other academic sources)