The purpose of this assignment is to (a) provide examples of a quality improvement initiative or patient safety issue in any healthcare delivery setting, (b) explore the contributing factors for this adverse medical outcome, (c) apply quality improvement theories and philosophies to a healthcare management project, (d) demonstrate an understanding of quality improvement tools by correctly choosing and using them in specific cases, and (e) recognize the extent of problems of patient safety in medical care.
Assignment Criteria for the Paper
1. Identify any existing quality concern or an existing patient safety issue and provide the rationale for choosing this issue.
2. Explain the background and scope of the problem.
3. Analyze the issue based on the appropriate quality philosophy.
4. Identify the regulatory guidelines, internal and/or external benchmarks, or evidence-based practice standards surrounding the issue—explain what that expectation is and why.
5. Use the appropriate quality improvement tools to improve the quality outcome.
6. Describe how you could or will get involved in this initiative to make a difference and move it forward to enactment.
7. Summarize the content in concluding statements.
8. The body of the scholarly paper is to be 4 pages in length, excluding title and reference pages.
9. Grammar, spelling, punctuation, references, and citations are consistent with formal academic writing and APA format as expressed in the current edition.
10. Include a minimum of four references published within the past 5 years, not including your textbook. References may include scholarly websites of organizations or government agencies and must be presented using APA current edition format for electronic media.
Introduction and quality concern
Identify a quality issue/patient safety issue and provide a rationale.
Background and scope of the problem
Analyze the problem from a literature review and a practical point of view.
Goals of improvement
Identify three goals to improve the problem.
Quality philosophy application: Using a quality model, analyze the patient safety concern and the intervention to bridge the gaps.
Identification of the regulatory guidelines and internal/external benchmarks or EBP standards for this issue
Discuss all related factors to this problem and explain what the expectation is and why.
Quality process tool and improvement recommendation
Apply appropriate quality improvement tools to improve the quality outcome; provide illustrations for all tools used (flowchart, gap analysis, root cause analysis, etc.). Choose at least two tools for implementation
Provide summary and concluding statements.
Text, title page, and reference page(s) are completely consistent with APA current edition format.
Scholarly references: Paper is 4 pages in length, excluding the cover and reference pages. References include a minimum of 4 scholarly references, excluding the course text.
Grammar and spelling: Rules of grammar, spelling, word usage, and punctuation are consistent with formal written work.