Week 5 – Discussion
Your initial discussion thread is due on Day 3 (Thursday) and you have until Day 7 (Monday) to respond to your classmates. Your grade will reflect both the quality of your initial post and the depth of your responses. Refer to the Discussion Forum Grading Rubric under the Settings icon above for guidance on how your discussion will be evaluated.
Social Policy For Older Americans
There are multiple ways in which Governments accommodate for the needs of older citizens through social policy and welfare programs. In this discussion we are going to review key social policy initiatives in the US and explore whether elder support is the remit of Government or the social responsibility of families.
- Explain each of the following and how older American citizens benefit from them:
- ADA – Americans with Disabilities Act
- ADEA – Age Discrimination in Employment Act
- FMLA – Family Medical Leave Act
- OAA – Older Americans Act
- Social Security
- When looking at the role of Government policies and programs, individual citizen’s responsibility to financially prepare, and the support system of family, who holds the social responsibility in the United States for the later life care of the aging? Or do all three parties have a needed role to play? Explain and support your perspective with evidence, such as academic research or Government data.
Your initial full post should be at least 600 words in length. Support your claims with examples from the required material(s) and/or other scholarly resources, and properly cite any references. The Scholarly, Peer-Reviewed, and Other Credible Sources table offers additional guidance on appropriate source types. For help writing a great discussion post, see this video guide (Links to an external site.). Respond to at least two of your classmates’ posts by Day 7.