When a person smokes, almost every single organ in his or her body is affected by the dangerous chemicals. Cigarette smoking is a lifestyle factor known to cause an increased risk of death and disease (US Department of Health and Human Services & Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, 2004). Prior to beginning work on this assignment, review Chapters 1, 10, and 15 in the course text and read them The Health Consequences of Smoking (Links to an external site.) report from this week’s reading.
Next, imagine you are employed as a worksite wellness professional for a major organization. The organization recently adopted a policy to make the campus smoke free. To help support this effort, you have decided to develop a PowerPoint to present to all employees that will:
- Define the major health risks associated with cigarette smoking.
- Examine the health benefits of smoking cessation.
- Explain the benefits of a smoke-free environment for employees as well as the employer.
- Generalize how the Stages of Change Model can be used to evaluate a person’s readiness to quit smoking.
- Explain one way to motivate change at each stage of the Stages of Change Model.
- Explain the importance of role modeling positive lifestyle habits.
- Describe two smoking cessation aids.
For this assignment, you will be creating a PowerPoint Presentation with speaker’s notes. Your PowerPoint
- Must be eight double-spaced slides in length (not including title and references pages) and formatted according to APA style (Links to an external site.) as outlined in the Ashford Writing Center (Links to an external site.)’s How to Make a PowerPoint Presentation (Links to an external site.)
- Must include a separate title slide with the following:
- Title of presentation
- Student’s name
- Course name and number
- Instructor’s name
- Date submitted
- For further assistance with the formatting and the title page, refer to the APA Formatting for Word 2013 (Links to an external site.)
- Must utilize academic voice. See the Academic Voice (Links to an external site.) resource for additional guidance.
- Must include an introduction and conclusion paragraph. Your introduction paragraph needs to end with a clear thesis statement that indicates the purpose of your paper.
- For assistance on writing Introductions & Conclusions (Links to an external site.) as well as Writing a Thesis Statement (Links to an external site.), refer to the Ashford Writing Center resources.
- Must use at least three scholarly sources in addition to the course text.
- The Scholarly, Peer Reviewed, and Other Credible Sources (Links to an external site.) table offers additional guidance on appropriate source types. If you have questions about whether a specific source is appropriate for this assignment, please contact your instructor. Your instructor has the final say about the appropriateness of a specific source for a particular assignment.
- To assist you in completing the library research required for this assignment, view the How Do I Begin? (Links to an external site.) tutorial, which provides an overview of conducting searches in the library, generating keywords, and understanding your assignment prompt.
- Must document any information used from sources in APA style as outlined in the Ashford Writing Center’s Citing Within Your Paper (Links to an external site.)
- (Links to an external site.)Must include a separate reference slide that is formatted according to APA style as outlined in the Ashford Writing Center. See the Formatting Your References List (Links to an external site.) resource in the Ashford Writing Center for specifications.