Review the following lecture:
- Privacy Rights in the Workplace
The project assignment provides a forum for analyzing and evaluating relevant topics for this week on the basis of the course competencies covered.
Major areas where an employer is likely to risk liability for invading the privacy of its employees in private (non-government) workplaces include the following:
- Surveillance and eavesdropping
- Monitoring and reviewing computer information and use
- Requests for information from third parties, particularly job reference requests
- Requests for medical information
- Maintenance of personnel files
- Drug testing of potential or current employees
Select one of the potential liability risks from the list above and complete the following:
- Analyze in detail the risk you chose.
- Identify and describe a current news event related to the risk.
- Examine a strategy that employers use to avoid being sued for the risk.
- Evaluate the ethical balance between employee rights and employer needs regarding the risk.
To support your work, use your course and text readings and also use the South University Online Library. As in all assignments, cite your sources in your work and provide references for the citations in APA format.
- Create a 3–4 page Microsoft Word document.
- Name your file as SU_HRM5020_W1_Project_LastName_FirstName.doc.