What are the biggest impediments to ethical behavior in business?
Imagine that the CEO of an organization has asked the human resources department to review the company’s policies. You, personally, have been asked to propose a policy that the organization can implement to address an ethical issue you have identified. You may use the organization and issue you have used in the other course assessments. To deepen your understanding, you are encouraged to consider the questions below and discuss them with a fellow learner, a work associate, an interested friend, or a member of the business community.
- What is the purpose of business negotiation? It has often been viewed as a struggle for advantage. In what situations might it not be best to take advantage of the other side in negotiations? What are the advantages and disadvantages of win-win approaches to negotiations that pursue the best interests of both parties? Are ethical negotiations and win-win negotiations feasible in the real world? Consider a recent real-world example.
- What are the biggest impediments to ethical behavior in business? How do you think ethical behavior can be instilled while trying to make profits for shareholders?
- Recommend a policy that resolves the ethical issue you have identified.
- Evaluate ethical decision making models and associated parameters applicable to the recommended policy.
- Assess how the recommended corporate policy is socially responsible.
- Support the recommended policy with well-reasoned analysis and specific examples.
- Analyze and recommend a strategy for communicating the policy to the organization in a manner that meets the needs of the audience.
- Describe potential limitations of the policy, and strategies for monitoring and compliance.
- Written communication: Written communication is free of errors that detract from the overall message.
- APA formatting: Resources and citations are formatted according to current APA style and formatting guidelines.
- Length of paper: 4–6 typed, double-spaced pages.
- Font: Arial, 10-point.