You are assigned to nurse a client from surgery following a partial thyroidectomy. You will admit the client from the post-anaesthesia unit and assigned to this client for a total of 3 days.
1. What supplies should you place in the room?
2. Why should vital signs be assessed every 15 minutes for 2 hours, then hourly for 4 hours then every 2 to 4 hours for 24 hours?
3. What instructions about positioning and transferring the client to the bedside chair should you give to the assisting nurse?
4. What symptoms and signs should you assess?
5. What should the client understand about daily thyroid medication?