The Topic Search Strategy paper is the first of three related assignments. The purpose of this initial paper is to briefly describe your search strategies when identifying two articles that pertain to an evidence-based practice topic of interest.
Course outcomes: This assignment enables the student to meet the following course outcomes.
1. Examine the sources of knowledge that contribute to professional nursing practice. (PO 7)
2. Apply research principles to the interpretation of the content of published research studies. (POs 4 and 8)
Due date: Your faculty member will inform you when this assignment is due. The Late Assignment Policy applies to this assignment.
Total points possible: 120 points
Preparing the assignment:
Follow these guidelines when completing this assignment. Speak with your faculty member if you have questions.
1) Students will be placed into groups by the end of the second week of the session. The groups will work together to select a practice problem of interest as the focus for the three RUA assignments in this course. The practice topic of interest will also be used to complete week 3 and week 5 independent student assignments, as well as a group PowerPoint presentation in week 6.
a. Individuals will complete this assignment independently for weeks 3 and 5.
b. Teams must assure that members do not use the same articles when completing this assignment.
c. Please make sure you do not duplicate articles within your group.
d. Paper should be 3-4 content pages in length. Title and reference pages are required but are excluded from 3-4 -page length.
2) The paper will include the following sections:
a. Clinical Question (30 points/25%)
· Describe the problem. What is the focus of your group’s work?
· Explain the significance of the problem in terms of patient outcomes. What health outcomes result from your problem? Or what statistics document this is a problem? You may find support on websites for government or professional organizations.
· PICOT question in support of the group topic.
· State the purpose of your paper. What will your paper do or describe? This is like a problem
statement. “The purpose of this paper is to . . .”
b. Levels of Evidence (20 points/16%)
· Identify the type of question being asked (therapy, prognosis, meaning, etc.).
· What is the best type of evidence to answer that question (e.g., RCT, cohort study, qualitative study, etc.)?
c. Search Strategy (50 points/43%)
· List search terms and results.
· Databases used (start with the CU library). Link your search with the PICOT question described above.
· Refinement decisions. As you did your search, what decisions did you make in refinement to get your required articles down to a reasonable number for review? Were any limits used? If so, what?
· Identification of two (2) most relevant articles (primary sources published within the last 5 years).
d. Format (20 points/16%)
· Correct grammar and spelling.
· Include a title page.
· Use of headings for each section.
· Clinical Question, Levels of Evidence, Search Strategy, and Conclusion
· Adheres to current APA formatting and guidelines.
· 3-4 pages in length, excluding title and reference pages.
For writing assistance, visit the Writing Center.
Please note that your instructor may provide you with additional assessments in any form to determine that you fully understand the concepts learned.